Business Development Director or Senior Director – Boston MA
Job Type: Full-Time
X-Chem is seeking a Business Development Director/Senior Director to drive business development and sales to clients and partners. The Director will work as part of X-Chem’s Business Development and Alliance Management team and report to the Chief Business Officer. Primary responsibilities will be to source new business and establish drug discovery collaborations and contracts. The Director/Senior Director would ideally be located in the Boston metropolitan area. Some travel (up to 30%) required.
This position will be responsible for administration and management of X-Chem business development initiatives, client sourcing, contract negotiation and execution. The Business Development Director/Senior Director will be based at X-Chem’s offices in Waltham, but may flexibly conduct activities from his/her home office for part of the work week. Travel of up to 30% required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Execute business development and sales initiatives consistent with the company’s overall strategy.
- Identify prospective partners and clients through systematic outreach and attendance of conferences and networking events
- Master a fundamental technical understanding of X-Chem’s core discovery platform technology
- Present X-Chem’s services through written and verbal communications to clients and prospective clients in in biopharma
- Cultivate relationships with decision makers in biopharma R&D and BD, manage accounts and secure opportunities for selling small molecule discovery services.
- Respond to Requests for Proposals.
- Negotiate and close deals for discovery service business.
- Maintain accurate and accessible tailored documentation i.e. presentations / proposals / agreements/ updates to meet client needs
- Responsible for lead generation and appointment setting
- Interact with members of the research and project teams to ensure proposals / contracts that are consistent with internal processes.
- Update Business Development databases to include opportunities, proposals issued, approved projects, and BD activities and other tracking indexes.
- Strong client management and sales skills and ability to keep commitments.
- Complete requested administrative reports on a timely basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Advanced degree in Chemistry, Biology, Pharmaceutics or a Life Science discipline or equivalent strongly preferred. MBA a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in biopharma and a minimum of 3 years proven experience of business development and/or selling services, developing pipeline of opportunities, and closing deals.
- Experience working in (or with) pharma/biotech throughout target hit identification, hit-tolead optimization, and candidate selection cycle.
- Highly professional and trustworthy in demeanor and action
- Solid understanding of the drug discovery process and pre-clinical research
- Motivated and driven; strong work ethic
- Focused, solution minded and attention to detail
- Interacts well with others and strong team player
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills
20-30% travel required. Position based in Waltham MA (greater Boston area), but flexible working environment and use of home office is standard. Light physical activity performing nonstrenuous daily activities.
X-Chem is a privately held company whose mission is to employ our world-leading drug discovery platform to help create molecules that improve health.
X-Chem offers a stimulating, casual, and fun working environment; plus a competitive salary and benefits package, and the opportunity for all employees to grow with the Company. X-Chem is an equal opportunity employer that complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work in the United States.
X-Chem is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code SH2101
Contact Name Human Resources
Position Location Waltham, MA
Preferred Education Advanced Degree; PhD or MBA
Years of Experience >5