Associate Director, Laboratory Operations and EHS (Waltham, MA)
X-Chem is seeking a candidate for the position of Associate Director, Laboratory Operations and EHS. X-Chem is a drug discovery company that uses DNA-encoded library (DEL) technology to discover leads for therapeutic targets. As a world leader in DEL technology, X-Chem collaborates with numerous pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, resulting in over 85 licensed programs to date.
- Maintain and optimize processes within the lab to increase efficiency and effectiveness including: lab consumables management, asset management, chemical management, and protocols for equipment.
- Work both independently and collaboratively to accomplish company goals with a positive attitude.
- Support ongoing laboratory operations with a significant emphasis on permitting, ordering, receiving, stocking, storage and distribution of all lab consumables, media, reagents, equipment, supplies and any other inventory item(s) related to the operation of the laboratory, and organizing various lab spaces and equipment.
- Manage shipping for domestic and international shipments of lab materials, including the preparation of material for shipment.
- Coordinate maintenance and tracking of all lab equipment (calibrations, preventative maintenance, repairs and replacements, service contracts, new equipment purchases, space optimization).
- Collaborate regularly with scientists to identify and address any workflow bottlenecks, inefficiencies or opportunities for process improvement, and logistical or administrative issues in the lab. Present at group meetings.
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve problems associated with work within the laboratory setting, including occasional off-hours response to laboratory emergencies.
- Establish lab procedures, create and manage lab-related documentation and organize, such as annual laboratory cleanouts and micropipette calibrations.
- Maintain lab safety standards by conducting frequent trainings, refreshers, inspections, and walk-throughs
- Ensure a safe working environment by identifying, reporting, and eliminating potential workplace hazards, reinforcing safety policies and good work practices, maintaining SDS and master reagent inventory.
- Coordinate all hazardous waste segregation, collection, and disposal.
- Participate in government or regulatory agency inspections. Act as X-Chem Emergency Coordinator.
- Participate in committees including Safety and Operations Committee.
- Support lab- related on- and off-boarding processes
- Help coordinate and support lab and office move planning and execution.
- Serve as the primary contact in day-to-day laboratory operations, including engagement with landlord on work orders for routine plumbing, electric, badges, renovations for approval (including scope), and their preferred vendors. Receive and distribute communications.
- Supervise facilities personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree or above and 5+ years management experience in a laboratory setting.
- DOT, IATA AND RCRA certification preferred.
- Familiarity with basic chemistry techniques; and the operation of standard lab equipment.
- Experience operating and maintaining common laboratory equipment such as fridges, freezers, centrifuges, liquid handlers, LCMS, and plate readers.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with a wide array of personalities and work styles.
- An aptitude and commitment to communicate clearly, listen to understand, and facilitate cross-functional communication transparency and alignment.
- A high level of initiative, good judgment, and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Excellent customer-service and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong skills in organization, time management, and team coordination.
- Adaptability to shift gears and re-prioritize throughout the day and week as new needs arise in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, balancing urgent and important.
- Ability to repeatedly lift heavy items (up to 50 lbs.).
Why you should join us:
X-Chem offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer includes: 100% Paid Medical, Dental, STD/LTD and Life Insurance; 12 Paid Holidays; 22 days PTO; Tuition Reimbursement; Flexible Spending account for both medical and dependent care; weekly social hour; Summer Hours and company events. Our work environment includes casual dress, bike storage, free parking, and wellness perks.
X-Chem is a privately held biotechnology company whose mission is to apply its innovative drug discovery capabilities to the discovery of compounds against novel therapeutic targets. X-Chem offers a stimulating, casual, and fun working environment; plus a competitive salary and benefits package, and the opportunity for all employees to grow with the Company. X-Chem is an equal opportunity employer that complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work in the United States.
X-Chem is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code OPS01
Position Location Waltham, MA